Emergency Solutions Grant CARES Act (ESG-CV) Notice of Funding Availability for Emergency Shelter
The Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG) program is designed to identify sheltered and unsheltered homeless persons, as well as those at risk of homelessness, and provide the services necessary to help them quickly regain stability in permanent housing after experiencing a housing crisis and/or homelessness.
The ESG Program provides funds to:
- Engage homeless individuals and families living on the street.
- Improve the number and quality of emergency shelters for homeless individuals and families.
- Help operate these shelters.
- Provide essential services to shelter residents.
- Rapidly re-house homeless individuals and families.
- Prevent families and individuals from becoming homeless.
The program is also intended to lower the increase of homelessness through the funding of preventive programs and services. Eligible applicants include units of local government or private, nonprofit organizations that receive approval by an appropriate unit of local government.
ESG Program funds may be used for one or more of the five program components:
- Street Outreach
- Emergency Shelter
- Homelessness Prevention
- Rapid Re-Housing
- Homeless Management Information System
Resources from the National Alliance to End Homelessness
Low-Barrier Emergency Shelter