Military Housing Assistance is a program created by the 2007 Kentucky Legislature and Kentucky Housing Corporation. It is designed to aid military personnel during active duty deployment outside of the United States by providing assistance with housing costs and services. Military personnel who meet this qualification for assistance must also have listed Kentucky as their home state of record for military purposes.
Military Housing Assistance Program Guidelines
- One family member from the current household must be on active duty outside of the United States.
- The household member on military active duty must have Kentucky listed as his/her home state of record for military purposes.
- Household income must be at or below 200 percent of the area median income for that county (see chart).
- Applicants cannot be more than sixty (60) days delinquent in housing payments from the date s/he was sent to training before deployment.
- Kentucky Housing Corporation will pay two (2) months of delinquent payments including any late charges accrued during those two months.
- Kentucky Housing Corporation may pay a maximum of twelve (12) months or $5,000 per household unless active duty becomes extended and then Kentucky Housing may pay through the extension date.
- Assistance will be in the form of a grant.
- If the deployed household member dies while on active duty, Kentucky Housing Corporation will continue to pay for three (3) months after the date of death.
- Applicants with a current Kentucky Housing loan will be referred to Kentucky Housing's loan servicing office to develop a repayment plan at a lower-interest rate.
- Program participants must notify Kentucky Housing within thirty (30) days of the end of deployment or repay any assistance paid on his/her behalf after that date.
- A maximum of six (6) credit counseling sessions will be available to all Military Housing Assistance program participants upon the household's request during or after deployment at Kentucky Housing's expense.
Senate Bill 186
To review Senate Bill 186, please click on the following Legislative Research Commission link: https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/record///07RS/SB186.htm