Kentucky Housing Corporation (KHC) administers the Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA) program for Kentucky. The HOPWA Grant Program is funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and provides assistance to low-income individuals diagnosed with HIV/AIDS and any family members living with them. All activities must comply with applicable HOPWA regulations, which are found in 24 CFR 574.
HOPWA funding provides housing assistance and related supportive services as part of HUD's Consolidated Planning Initiative that works in partnership with communities and neighborhoods in managing federal funds appropriated to HIV/AIDS programs. This focus on providing housing assistance and related support services for HOPWA-eligible clients serves to reduce the risks of homelessness for this population and increase access to appropriate healthcare and other support.
HOPWA Formula Application
The last competitive application round for HOPWA was in 2017 and funded projects through 2019 using the forms below:
- Tenant-based rental assistance
- Emergency housing assistance
- Short-term rent, mortgage, and utility payments to prevent homelessness
- Permanent housing placement costs, such as application fees and security deposits
- Supportive services, such as case management, alcohol and drug abuse services
- Resource identification, which includes costs related to landlord outreach, creating brochures
- Housing information that assists clients in locating housing and referral information
- Administrative expenses
To receive HOPWA assistance, clients must be at or below 80 percent of the area median income and have a diagnosis of HIV/AIDS.
Contact information for agencies receiving HOPWA funding is listed below. If you feel you may be eligible and are in need of assistance, please contact one of the agencies below to see if you qualify:
- AIDS Volunteers, Inc., Lexington, KY (859) 225-3000
- Heartland CARES, Inc., Paducah, KY (270) 444-8183
- Matthew 25 AIDS Services, Inc., Henderson, KY (270) 826-0200
- Volunteers of America Mid-States, Louisville, KY (502) 635-4511