Interest Rates
 Buying a Home?









Translation Disclaimer

Like us on Facebook   
Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to me on YouTube
TTY 711

Equal Housing Opportunities
Kentucky Unbridled Spirit-External Site  

Kentucky Transitions

Bookmark and Share

What is Kentucky Transitions?

Kentucky was awarded a $49 million Money Follows the Person Grant by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Utilizing funding from the grant, Kentucky has developed a program called Kentucky Transitions.  Kentucky Transitions is a partnership between the Kentucky Department for Medicaid Services, the University of Kentucky, and Kentucky Housing Corporation.  Kentucky Transitions allows eligible individuals to transition from institutional settings back into the community.  Participation in Kentucky Transitions is strictly voluntary.

Kentucky Transitions candidates must currently live in and must have lived in a Nursing Facility or ICF/MR-DD (or a combination of hospitalization and institutional placement) for 90 consecutive days prior to transition to be eligible.  An individual is eligible for transition if they are Medicaid eligible and have been receiving services through the Medicaid Program in the institutional setting for at least one day prior to transition.

Those eligible for transitioning through Kentucky Transitions include elderly individuals and those with physical, intellectual, or developmental disabilities, and individuals with acquired brain injuries.

How Do Eligible Participants Receive Assistance?

Kentucky Housing Corporation will assist eligible participants in locating safe, quality, and affordable housing.

A Kentucky Housing Corporation housing assessment will be completed if a person is in need of housing and/or subsidy assistance.  A subsidy is rental assistance based on income that is applied to the rent and paid directly to the landlord.

The individual and household must be income eligible based on the income limits set by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) or other assistance programs.

Kentucky Housing Corporation does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, religion, disability, gender, or familial status.

Moving and Modification Assistance

Kentucky Transitions may provide eligible individuals up to $2,000 in moving expense assistance, e.g., utility deposits, security deposits, furniture, etc.  Also, modification assistance of the lesser of $15,000 or 10 percent of the value of a structure may be provided to make necessary home modifications deemed necessary for the individual to live in a home safely.  These modifications could include installing grab bars, wheelchair ramps, lowering light switches, bathroom, and/or kitchen modifications, etc.

Required Housing Information

  • Income amounts for each member of the household include, but are not limited to:
    • Supplemental Security Income
    • Social Security
    • Social Security Disability
    • Wages
    • Student Financial Aid
    • Informal Support (someone providing financial assistance)
    • Public Assistance
  • Social Security numbers, copies of Social Security cards, and birth certificates must be provided for every member of the household.
  • Evidence of citizenship or eligible immigration status must be provided.
  • Criminal and sex offender registry background checks will be conducted on each member of the household.
  • The rental unit must pass a Housing Quality Standards inspection before an individual or household may move into the unit or have subsidy assistance provided.
  • Complete all required paperwork for Kentucky Housing Corporation, HUD, and the landlord.
  • If an individual or household is denied rental subsidy assistance, they have the right to appeal.

Information for property owners/managers


For more information contact:

Kentucky Housing Corporation
(502) 564-7630
(800) 633-8896 (KY only)

1231 Louisville Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
The free Flash plug-in is required to view some multimedia content.
The free Acrobat reader is required to view many of our (pdf) documents.
Get Acrobat Reader
  Click here to log in
Home  Site Map   Fraud Policy   Privacy Policy   Legal Notices   Open Records   Contact Us   Search