Tens of thousands of Kentuckians have discovered the secret to homeownership through KHC...
Kentucky Housing Corporation is pleased to serve you through our home buying services. As the state’s housing finance agency, our mission is to provide safe, quality, affordable housing opportunities. We want to help you purchase a home!
Step 1: Find a KHC-approved lender.
Once you've decided you are ready to purchase a home, identify a KHC-approved lender in your county or call toll-free in Kentucky at (800) 633-8896 or (502) 564-7630, extension 291, or TTY 711.
We partner with approved lenders and banking institutions across the state to provide you with the best mortgage loan options. Be sure to ask your KHC-approved lender about KHC's Conventional No MI Loan, which may save you almost $1,000 a year by a lower house payment.
KHC’s loans are subject to certain income restrictions, eligibility, and purchase price guidelines. Your lender can tell you more about that.
KHC may also be able to provide up to $10,000 in down payment and closing cost assistance if you qualify.
Step 2: Find a home!
When considering a real estate agent, check out our KHC-Certified Real Estate Agents who have demonstrated a commitment to presenting affordable mortgage products to their home buyers. While not required to purchase a home, a real estate professional can help you identify a home, negotiate the price, and educate you through the process.
After you have a sales contract on the home you select, you will need to meet with your lender again to complete the loan application.
When you schedule a meeting with your lender to complete your loan application, be sure to ask what items to bring with you. Such items might include:
- Purchase contract and a copy of the seller’s deed.
- Personal checks to pay for your credit report and appraisal of the property.
- Names and addresses of your landlords for the last two years.
- Copies of your last three years’ tax returns.
- List of all your assets, including bank accounts (checking, savings, Certificates of Deposit, Individual Retirement Accounts, etc.) with current bank statements for each.
- Copy of award letter from pension/retirement fund, disability insurer, etc.
- Names and addresses of your current employer (s) and other employers for past two years.
- Copy of your last payroll check stub from your current employer(s).
- List of all amounts you owe, including charge and credit card account balances (include account numbers).
- If applicable, copy of divorce decree, property settlement and verification of child support or bankruptcy papers.
This Application Checklist can help.
Step 3: Loan Closing
Once all the negotiations and loan paperwork is completed, your loan file will be reviewed by an underwriter. The underwriter decides whether to approve your loan. Once it's approved, your lender will schedule your loan closing where you and the seller will finalize the sale.
Congratulations! You're a homeowner!
Ask your KHC-approved lender how you can save $1,000 a year!
FREE Home Buying Guide.
A step-by-step guide to buying your dream home.
Download yours now!
Find a top KHC lender in your area!
Find a KHC-Certified Real Estate Agent in Your County!