Skip to main navigation Skip to main content

My Account

Disaster Recovery

Disaster Recovery

Homeownership Recovery Following a Natural Disaster

If your home has been damaged due to a natural disaster you should immediately contact your homeowner’s insurance company.  If you have a mortgage on your home, you should also check with your mortgage service provider, as soon as you can, to learn what options may be available to you.  You may be able to get a temporary forbearance on making payments.

Mortgage help from Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) may be available if you face foreclosure proceedings and your home has been seriously damaged so that you cannot live there.

It is very important that you register with FEMA.  FEMA operates a Disaster Housing Program to help homeowners who have been forced out of their homes by disasters.  Assistance can include grants for temporary housing, home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses, and other programs to help individuals recover.  Call the FEMA Disaster Hotline at (800) 621-FEMA or visit

You may be eligible for loans from the Small Business Administration (SBA) to make necessary repairs.  The SBA makes low-interest loans (I took this out because the amount might vary from locale to locale) to homeowners for repair or replacement of damaged or destroyed real estate.  You do not have to be a small business owner to qualify.

If you have a mortgage insured by the FHA (HUD) or guaranteed by RHS or the VA, you may have additional protections, such as forbearance on the mortgage payments or a period of suspended payments.  Call for more information at (888) 297-8685.